Wednesday, May 10, 2017

The importance of early detection and early intervention in mental illness






I've shared before in my spare time I like to watch Ted Talks and videos put on by the NIMH. This talk really inspired me when I watched it, so I uploaded it and am sharing it with you here. If you cannot see it for any reason, here is the link so you can watch it directly on the Ted site. I couldn't be more thrilled to learn the NIMH is focusing on early detection and intervention.

As a parent of a youth with early onset symptoms of a brain disorder, I am a big proponent of early detection of mental health issues. Early detection means the youth can get help sooner, and potentially prevent severe mental illness. In fact, I was approached by my local NAMI chapter to train and teach a class called NAMI Basics, aimed at parents of young children and teens under the age of 18 with challenging behaviors or early diagnosis of mental illness. I am proud to report that I have completed that training, and am ready to teach the very first course of NAMI Basics in San Diego in 7 years!

If you are in San Diego county, and are interested in taking the NAMI Basics class, please feel free to contact me directly at the Child, Youth & Family Liaison by visiting our website here. From that page, you can send us an email to be notified of the next class date, and be added to an interest list. We are forming interest lists for BOTH parents and providers or those who work supporting families in the mental health system.

In addition, I have helped orchestrate a community presentation taking place at NAMI SD on May 26 from 1-2 pm by Dr. Kristen Cadenhead of UCSD's CARE program. The presentation is called Early Detection, Intervention and Prevention of Psychosis. You may RSVP to attend this presentation by emailing the CYF Liaison here.

In good health,
Valerie

No comments:

Post a Comment